Folkmoot USA is now accepting seasonal job applications for the 2013 festival, scheduled for July 17 to 28.
Positions available: Guides, Sound Technicians, Cafeteria Staff, Housekeeping staff, Bus Drivers and Interns. Must be able to work days, evenings, weekends July 16 - July 30. Call 828-452-2997 for an application or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guide Positions--Being a Folkmoot USA guide is truly the international cultural experience of a lifetime. During the two-week festival in July, a guide stays with their assigned performance group 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Guides help groups get to performances, find things they need, help plan late-night parties that they host, plan and accompany groups on sightseeing trips and work to be first in line to help them with other needs. Guides also act as stage managers, emcees and souvenir salespersons at some performances.
It is an intense two weeks that are very rewarding. Some veteran guides say that it's the hardest job you'll ever love. Many guides began with Folkmoot near the end of their high school career and continued through college. Some older guides take vacation from their year-round jobs just to work at Folkmoot.
The guide team, totaling about 20, is led and supervised by a director. Guides will be trained in all aspects of their job during a workshop that will be held in July prior to the festival. Applicants must be at least 18 years old, be available to attend the training workshop, and be available to work from July 16 to July 30.
If you are interested in being a 2013 Folkmoot USA guide, please read through the Job Description below and fill out the application.
FOLKMOOT USA GUIDE JOB DESCRIPTION
Folkmoot guides serve as ambassadors of Folkmoot USA to visiting folk music and dance performance groups during the annual 2 week festival held in July. Guides are provided with a stipend and provided with room and board at the Folkmoot Friendship Center in Hazelwood, NC, during the festival and act as hosts/liaisons to the group members 24 hours per day for the duration of the festival.
- work with group directors and Folkmoot staff members to ensure group’s compliance with Folkmoot rules, performance schedules, transportation schedules, meal schedules and other festival requirements
- assist groups in planning and executing one evening of entertainment for other festival participants
- assist groups in planning sightseeing and other activities during non-performance time
- act as stage manager for some performances
- act as emcee for some performances
- sell Folkmoot souvenirs at some performances-work with Folkmoot paid and volunteer staff to execute all festival activities in a professional manner
- Must be 17 years or older
- Must be available for work 24 hours a day July 19 to August 1, 2011
- Must be available for 2011 training session July 15, 5 pm – July 16, 1:00 pm
- Foreign language skills helpful but not required.
For more information, call the Folkmoot Friendship Center at 828.452.2997.